Employee health and industrial safety are strategic priorities for Inter RAO Group. To ensure continuous improvement in these areas, we implement world-leading standards and international best practices across all Group subsidiaries and affiliates.
Inter RAO Group runs a series of regular professional skill contests to maintain high level of awareness and improve employee skills in the area of employee health and industrial safety. In addition to scheduled corporate events, Inter RAO Group employees join nationwide professional skill contests in safe operation of electric power facilities and employee health and safety.
Programmes implemented by Inter RAO Group in this area are aimed at:
- Harmonisation of approaches to management system;
- Development of a remuneration target model that reflects professional, qualification and other factors;
- Analysis of performance indicators and identification of factors for performance improvement;
- Creation of a unified corporate culture;
- Evaluation of the current job satisfaction level;
- Interaction with trade unions;
- Development of social protection programmes for employees.
Inter RAO Group runs a series of regular professional skill contests to maintain high level of awareness and improve employee skills in the area of employee health and industrial safety. Our five major events in 2015 were as follows:
- 2nd Inter RAO Group Professional Skill Contest for Operations Teams of Interconnected Power Stations.
- 6th Open Corporate Skill Contest for Integrated Operations Teams in Dobryanka, Perm Krai.
- 2nd All Russia Skill Contest for 2015 Best Health and Safety Professional in the Electric Power Industry.
- 2015 Open All Russia Skill Contest for TPP Operations Teams.
- All Russia Skill Contest for 2015 Best TPP Electrician on Call.
In addition to scheduled corporate events, Inter RAO Group employees join nationwide professional skill contests in safe operation of electric power facilities and employee health & safety.
Ensuring the occupational health and safety of employees has historically been a strategic priority for Inter RAO Group.
Constant improvement of processes, ensuring accident-free performance is immediately related to the adaptation of best world practices concerning occupational safety.
A priority area in occupational health and safety is a reduction of the industrial injury and accident rate.
Reduction of injury rate at production facilities
The long-term goals of Inter RAO Group regarding occupational health and safety until 2020 include reducing the targeted injury frequency rate and the complete absence of accidents at hazardous production facilities.
For 2017, Group management approved the key indicator “Absence of Emergencies or Accidents, or the Attainment of the Injury Frequency Rate” in accordance with the Methodological Guidelines for Assessing the Fulfillment of Inter RAO Group’s Strategy Implementation Plan. The injury frequency rate for 2017 is 0.358, for 2018 – 0.356. In 2017, the Group companies demonstrated positive dynamics in reducing the total number of productionrelated injuries: the number of accidents reduced as compared to 2016: 10 in 2016 versus 9 in 2017.
In 2017 the following activities were carried out to ensure occupational safety:
- the project Introduction of the electronic instructions system (at the facilities of Inter RAO LLC – Management of Electricity Plants); at the present time, repetitive instructions for the personnel are made in the form of electronic training courses with further tests and photographic evidence of this process;
- a pilot project for the installation of stationary and mobile video devices to monitor personnel operations (at the facilities of BGC LLC).
Moreover, to minimize injury, the Group’s specialists take a complex of control and preventive measures:
- limited-scope, complex, regular, and extraordinary audits of the safety of manufacturing work;
- assessment of the efficiency of accident-prevention measures;
- corrective and preventive measures, including measures aimed at raising safety and reliability levels.
Thanks to the activities of the reporting period, the injury frequency rate among Group employees did not exceed its target value (≤ 0.3580) and amounted to 0.18.
Safety cooperation with the community
One of Inter RAO Group’s strategic priorities is the safety of its assets.
The key performance indicator Implementation of Inter RAO Group Investment Program for 2017 Related to the Security Equipment was among the KPIs related to asset safety specified in Inter RAO Group's strategy implementation Plan for 2017. The KPI value set in the Investment program amounted to over RUB 700 million; over RUB 670.0 million (i.e. about 95%) was spent. Altogether, this KPI is considered to be achieved.
The safety KPIs for 2018 are as follows:
- Implementation of Inter RAO Group's 2018 safety equipment Investment program;
- Implementation of the plan of activities for rating the facilities of the fuel and energy complex;
- Reduction of the hazard class facilities of the fuel and energy complex as required by Federal Law 256-FZ On the Security of Heat and Energy Complex Facilities.
Moreover, among the essential objectives for 2018 is the implementation of safety activities at the fuel and energy complex facilities during elections of the President of the Russian Federation and Football World Cup 2018.
The key elements of the Group's asset safety are the security of the power generation facilities against terrorism and the level of emergency preparedness.