Measures for reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Measures for increasing energy efficiency of the production and reducing specific fuel consumption, as well as introduction of new highly efficient equipment and decommissioning of outdated equipment – all these measures taken allow to reduce the volume and intensity of greenhouse gas emissions.
Thanks to the range of measures taken, greenhouse gas emissions decreased in the past years compared to 2015 and 2016 by 5.5% and 4.1% respectively. In 2017, gross greenhouse gas emissions of the Group amounted to 84.6 m tonnes. Specific pollutant emissions per unit produced decreased by 0.02 tonnes/thous. kWh.
Estimation of greenhouse gas emissions is an integral part of industrial environmental air control system and it is carried out annually at all generating facilities of the Group. In 2017 greenhouse gas emissions accounting was conducted in accordance with the Guidelines and the Manual on quantifying the amount of greenhouse gas emissions by organizations carrying out business operations and other activities in the Russian Federation, as approved by the Decree of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Russian Federation dated June 30, 2015 No.300.
Measures for reducing other pollutant emissions
Gross pollutant emissions decreased by 13 thousand tonnes compared to 2016 and by 69 thousand tonnes compared to 2015. The positive dynamics of decrease in pollutant emissions in 2017 is premised on the following measures taken in 2016:
- Decommissioning of outdated inefficient equipment of energy facilities at Verkhnetagilskaya CHPP, Cherepetskaya TPP, Yuzhnouralskaya TPP . Furthermore, increasing use of more environmentally friendly natural gas as an energy source is critical for decrease in specific emissions (the share of gas use in the overall fuel mix increased by 1.2% compared to 2016);
- Reequipment of current electrical filters at CHPP-5, TGC-11 JSC;
- Installation of low emission burners with graded upper air input at business units of BGC LLC;
- Equipping stationary emission sources with continuous emission monitoring systems in 2016 (the process was finished in 2017) at Karmanovskaya TPP, Priufimskaya CHPP, Novo-Sterlitamakskaya CHPP of BGC LLC and Omskaya CHPP-5 (TGC-11 JSC).
Persistent efforts were taken for atmospheric air protection in 2017. In the reporting year the following measures allowed to decrease pollutant emissions:
- Re-equipment of current electrical filters at Omskaya CHPP-5 (TGC-11 JSC);
- Installation of low emission burners was continued at business units of BGC LLC
- Dust extraction plant of the boiler unit No.10 was reconstructed with installation of highly efficient second generation emulsifiers at Tomskaya TPP (TG JSC)
- Decommissioning of outdated equipment was continued: two power units at Verkhnetagilskaya TPP and three power units at Cherepetskaya TPP were put out of operation.