|RUB 20.1 million||Funding for biodiversity conservation projects in 2019|
|6||Major projects for stocking water bodies in 2019|
Inter RAO implements biodiversity conservation activities in four areas:
- Compensatory and reclamation stocking;
- Modernization of fish protection devices;
- Research on the effectiveness of fish protection devices;
- Environmental volunteering.
The major impact of power plants on biodiversity is the potential risk of death of aquatic organisms at the intakes of thermal power plants. To reduce these risks, all water intakes are equipped with fish protection facilities; stocking is also performed. The stocking objectives comprise of compliance with the environmental law, reproduction of fish stocks, and maintaining high technical and economic indicators of the power plant by preventing the overgrowing of the water body.
Given that none of the fish protection technologies can completely prevent the death of fish during the construction or operation of the fence. The Group is interacting with stakeholders to develop long-term and efficient cooperation for the development and coordination of actions to ensure the conservation of aquatic biological resources and their environment habitat during the construction and operation of GRESs, HPPs, and CHPPs comprising compensatory measures to preserve and maintain biological resources.
In 2019, the following stocking projects were implemented:
- Release of 49,600 carp fry in Lake Gusinoe.
- Release of 145,215 silver carp fry in the Iriklinskoe reservoir.
- Release of 400,000 with a weight of 3–5 g each sterlet fry into the Kama reservoir.
- Release to the Cherepetskoe reservoir of 1,500 juvenile silver carps and 2,500 carps.
- Release to the Karmanovskoe reservoir of 8 tons of juvenile grass carp and silver carp.
- Release of about 8 tons of herbivorous and aquatic fish species into the Kuchurganskoe reservoir.
In addition, in 2019, employees of some generating assets took an active part in the following events:
- Employees of Pechorskaya GRES took part in the republican environmental campaign named River Ribbon: the coastal territory of the station's reservoir was cleaned. For the eighth year in a row, employees are collecting garbage from the shores of a water body.
- At Gusinoozerskaya GRES, the trade union organization jointly with the heads of the structural units of the station carried out an environmental campaign to clean the bank of the river Selenga in the village of Novoselenginsk.
- In JSC Altayenergosbyt, the representatives of the young employees jointly with Greenpeace and the Takiye Dela portal arranged a campaign named Plastic Watching within the scope of the World Cleanliness Day, during which the banks of the river Barnaulka in the village Bulygino, Altai Territory, was cleaned.
- Employees of JSC TGK-11 participated in the action named Hand Over Waste Paper and Get a Tree in Omsk. The action resulted in the collection of 4.5 tons of waste paper, which were exchanged for 22 Siberian spruce seedlings that were planted by the participants on the thermal power plant site.
- In JSC Omsk RTS, within the scope of the same action Hand Over Waste Paper and Get a Tree in Omsk, an alley of 14 seedlings was planted in exchange for waste paper.