Protection of the natural environment
Environmental policy of Inter RAO Group defines the key areas to reduce adverse impact on the environment. It is one of the most important elements aimed to optimize the operation of subsidiary companies within the strategy of continuous value increase of managed assets.
To achieve its goals and deliver on its commitments in regard to environmental protection and sustainable use of natural resources the Group adopted and approved in 2014 the Target ecological programme for the period till 2020 with a view to 2030.
In 2015-2016 surveillance audits of the certification authority DQS recognized efficiency of the functioning of the system in meeting the targets and achieving environmental objectives stated by the Society. Improvement of the environmental protection control systems due to accession to international standard ISO14001:2004 ‘Environmental management systems’ of seven its subsidiaries (INTER RAO - Electric Power Plants LLC, Mtkvari HPP LLC, Khrami HPP-1 LLC, Khrami HPP-2 LLC, Telasi JSC, Razdan TPP JSC, Sangtuda HPP-1 JSC) resulted in the increase of the total value of certified assets to 83%.
Key provisions of the Programme:
- The amendments introduced into the regulatory requirements applicable to the operation of generating and production companies of the Group are constantly analyzed in line with the requirements of national environmental protection laws and state initiatives, international obligations of the regions where the Group operates, corporate strategic obligations (including Technology Policy and of obligations to the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development).
- The dynamics of indicator values in regard to significant environmental aspects and associated financial, environmental and reputational risks is analyzed on a permanent basis for each of the Group’s subsidiary production companies.
- Target values of environmental indicators are optimized.
- Ways towards achievement of environmental objectives are set, the plan of environmental protection activities is developed, the responsibility for implementation of activities is defined and the necessary investment resources for the period of 2017-2021 are estimated.
The following lines of action of the Group on minimizing adverse impact on the environment remain relevant:
- reducing atmospheric emissions through sustainable and effective fuel utilization;
- water use efficiency through the increase of the share of water recycling and circulating water supply;
- organizing of as useful as possible utilization of ash and slag waste;
- enhancement of ecological safety of waste disposal facilities;
- reduction of negative impact on water bodies through the renovation and optimization of water use strategies and implementation of the best techniques of sewage water treatment.
The commissioning of new generating facilities with improved ecological characteristics in 2014-2015 amid the decommissioning of obsolete inefficient equipment allowed reducing the Group total overall gross emissions of air pollutants in 2015 by 11.5 %. Among other things the decommissioning of unprofitable coal capacities at Verhnetagilskaya TPP and Uzhnouralskaya TPP and replacing them with modern facilities based on steam-gas technology allowed INTER RAO - Electric Power Plants LLC to reduce particulate emissions by 33.7 %.
Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions
Estimation of greenhouse gas emissions is an integral part of an industrial environmental air control system and it is carried out on an annual basis on all generating facilities of the Group. In 2015 greenhouse gas emissions accounting was for the first time conducted according to the new Guidelines and the Manual on quantifying the amount of greenhouse gas emissions by organizations carrying out business operations and other activities in the Russian Federation, as approved by the Decree of the RF Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of 30.06.2015 No.300
In 2015 the overall amount of greenhouse gas emissions of the Group was reduced by 3.8% from 93.1 million to 89.5 million tons. But greenhouse gas emissions per unit of energy produces remained at the same level amounting to 0.49 CO2/ths kW/hr. The dynamics of greenhouse gas reduction remains unchanged primarily because of:
- increasing of overall efficiency of fuel utilization (buildup of generating capacities utilizing steam-gas technology);
- growing share of natural gas and reduction of share of solid fuel in the fuel mix of thermal electric power stations of the Group.
In 2015 the modernization of waste treatment facilities and optimization of their technical load made it possible to reduce the amount of insufficiently purified sewage waters, while increasing the amount of wastewater treated to the standard quality by 1.7 mln m3. Specifically, the following activities on technical improvement of wastewater treatment systems of the Group’s power facilities were carried out:
- renovation of waste treatment facilities of Ekibazstuz TPP-2 conducted;
- construction of waste treatment facilities of Omsk CHP plant-5 continued;
- filter press on slime water clarifiers is installed and the system of reuse of flush water of mechanical filters for cold water supply of Ufimskaya CHP plant is implemented;
- renovation of the scheme of return and reuse of technological and storm water at Sewage pumping station-1 and 2 of Tomsk SDPP-2 is conducted;
- renovation of water cooling towers at Omsk CHP plant-5 TGC-11 JSC and at Novo-Sterlitamakskaya CHP plant BGK LLC is conducted.
Efficient waste management
The goal-oriented activity aimed at increase of useful utilization of ash and slag waste at the Group’s subsidiary companies resulted in fourfold increase of utilization volume in 2015. Mass of usefully utilized waste amounted to 864.6 thousand tons. Among other things the volume of waste utilized for own needs of the Group’s subsidiary companies has increased significantly: in 2015 it amounted to 70.6 thousand tons. The main ways of ash and slag waste utilization include:
- recultivation of section 2A of ash-disposal area of Tomsk TPP-2 Tomsk generation JSC 53.4 thousand tons;
- reconstruction of the road to ash-disposal areas No.2 and No.4 of Cherepetskaya TPP – 16.9 thousand tons;
- transfer by Kashirskay TPP to the external organizations of 678 thousand tons of ash and slag mixture and 24.4 thousand tons of dry ash;
- Omsk TPP-4 insured sale of 49.5 thousand tons of dry ahs for the production of building materials.
As of the end of 2015, 15 of 78 operating coal-burning boilers of the Group’s power facilities were equipped with the systems of collecting and offloading of dry ash. The fulfillment of works on equipping Ekibastuz TPP-2 boilers with this system of the designed capacity of 500 thousand tons per annum in 2015 deserves special mentioning.
Main treatment of ash and slag waste at the Group’s power companies is their placement at special facilities - ash and slag dump sites. The subsidiary companies of the Group use 23 sections at 17 ash and slag dump sites with the total area of 6.8 thousand hectares with the designed storage capacity of 2,277 mln tons, where in 2015 were placed 94.6% of produced waste. After decommissioning of dump sites the Group conducts the recultivation of disturbed land to minimize the environmental consequences for local ecosystems.
In 2015 the major projects on dump sites recultivation were carried out: the section 2A of ash-disposal of Tomsk TPP-2 of Tomsk generation JSK with the area of 6.2 hectares was recultivated (for recultivation 60 thousand m3 of water, 53.4 thousand tons of ash from the section 1B, 21 thousand m3 of sandy soil, 13.97 thousand m3 of vegetable soil have been used); work continued on recultivation of an industrial waste disposal site of Kostromskaya TPP.
The most significant influence of power plants on biodiversity is the potential risk of extinction of hydrobionts in TPS water intake facilities. To mitigate these risks all water intake facilities are equipped with fish protection structures. In 2015 the following works were conducted:
- construction of fish protection structures at costal pumping equipment of Cherepetskaya TPP is finished;
- fish protection structures of Urengoyskaya TPP are constructed and commissioned;
- project of fish protection structures for Karamanovskaya TPP is developed;
- research works are conducted and measures for improving the efficiency of fish protection structure of Iriklinskaya TPP are identified; works scheduled for 2016.
At the water bodies affected by the Group’s power plants operation the bio-reclamation works are carried out to compensate for losses incurred to biological resources. In 2015 a number of projects on stocking water bodies with fish were implemented, for example:
- At Permskaya TPP 370 thousand of young fishes of starlets were let out into the Kama reservoir;
- At Gusinoozerskaya TPP 50 thousand of young fishes of carp were let out into the Gusinoe lake;
- At Karmanovskaya TPP Karamanovsk reservoir was stocked with herbivorous fish.